SU2C-Inspired Event Ideas
Browse the categories below for some cool SU2C-inspired event suggestions
K-12 Students (Read More)
College Students (Read More)
In The Community (Read More)
Business and Employers (Read More)
- Up2 All of Us: Start an SU2C Club by following your school’s specific club guidelines and the tips on the SU2C Club page. Create your club, recruit members, and start planning your events!
- SU2C Signing wall: Get permission to put up a signing wall in a common area or classroom as a reminder to donate. When classmates donate, ask them to sign the wall with a special message about why they hope to beat cancer. When the campaign is complete, save the autographed wall as a memento of the school’s commitment and write the total donations raised on the very top.
- Sell a Star: Using the SU2C star template in the Up2 You Toolkit, ask your classmates to dedicate a star for a donation. Hang the dedicated stars in the lunchroom to create the school’s very own constellation.
- Band Together: Set up a donation table in a common area of your school like the lunchroom. Encourage your classmates to donate by offering an orange band as a thank you to anyone who gives. Donors can opt to have the band delivered to a friend in class the following period to help create buzz.
- SU2C Star Search: Organize a benefit or talent show. You could even feature some SU2C songs. Sell tickets in advance and ask people to donate after the concert. Include personal stories in the show to encourage more donations. Show some SU2C videos as part of the program.
- Up2 Game Day: When your school’s sports teams play home games, ask everyone on the team and in the stands to wear orange bands. Encourage the half time performers to use SU2C songs. Increase awareness by asking everyone in the stands to stand up at a key point of the game in honor of a loved one touched by cancer.
- Change the Odds: Play the official Change the Odds PSA at a school assembly and encourage classmates or teachers to share their personal cancer stories at the assembly to demonstrate that cancer touches all of us. During lunch on the day of the assembly, set up a table to take donations and ask people to write their personal connections to cancer on the arrow cut-outs provided. Hang the arrows in a common area to show that the school stands up to cancer.
- SU2C Signing Wall: Put up a signing wall in the quad or student commons as a reminder to donate. Ask friends, classmates and faculty to donate, then have them sign the wall with a special message about why they hope to beat cancer. When the campaign is complete, save the autographed wall as a memento of the school’s commitment.
- SU2C Viewing Parties: Organize your friends to watch a baseball game, SU2C telethon, or any other show or live event on television. Ask party-goers for a small donation every time a team scores, an actor stands up or a key word like “stand” or “star” is spoken.
- Sign a Star: Set up a table on campus and ask passers-by to dedicate a star for a donation. At the table, show SU2C videos on a laptop computer. Create a collage of the dedicated stars and display it prominently on campus.
- Up2 Game Day: When your school’s sports teams play home-games, ask everyone on the team and in the stands to wear orange bands. Encourage the half-time performers to use SU2C songs. Increase awareness by asking everyone in the stands to stand up at a key point of the game in honor of a loved one touched by cancer and have the announcer hold a moment of silence.
- SU2C Tailgate: Use SU2C colors to stand out in the crowd and serve orange or red “mocktails” or cocktails for a $5 donation each. For a $10 donation, offer two drinks and an orange band.
- SU2C Viewing Parties: Organize your friends and neighbors to watch a baseball game, SU2C telethon, or any other show or live event on television. Ask party-goers for a small donation every time a team scores, an actor stands up or a key word like “stand” or “star” is spoken.
- Stand Up and Eat In: Gather recipes from your friends and family, compile them in a star and arrow-covered folder. Offer the homemade cookbooks for a $5 donation and encourage people to increase their donation by giving what they would have spent on a meal at a restaurant.
- Night With the Stars House Party: Host a party for all your “star” friends. Serve orange or red cocktails (to match the SU2C colors) for a $5 donation each.
- Change The Odds: Visit local businesses and encourage them to participate in a donation drive. Have them ask their customers to add any amount to their final bill, or to put out a donation box to change the odds against cancer. Show them SU2C videos and the talking points provided in the Up2 You Toolkit to convince them to participate.
- Up2 Game Day: Create your own Dream Teams by starting an SU2C sports league: softball, kickball, bowling, or anything your community enjoys. Ask each player to donate $20 for joining.
- Stand Up and Read: Start a book club with a group of your friends and family. Ask for a $10 donation to join the group. The first book on your reading list could be Emperor of All Maladies by Siddhartha Mukherjee.
- Keep the Change To Change the Odds: Reach out to local stores and restaurants. Ask them to set up donation buckets near their registers and ask people to donate the change from their purchase.
- Celebrate the Stars: Send a company wide email to employees asking them to share their personal connection to cancer. Launch a star in the SU2C.org constellation in honor of each story and encourage the employees to visit their stars and donate. You can print the responses in a book as a poignant reminder of why the company stands up to cancer.
- Add to the Tab & Change the Odds: If you run a retail store or restaurant, ask your customers to add any amount to their final bill to change the odds. Show that your business is making a difference by offering to match all customer donations up to a certain amount. If you have space, play the Change the Odds PSA or put up an SU2C Change the Odds poster.
- Take a Stand: If your company has a lot of window space, hang an SU2C banner with a message to the community to show your support.
- Stand Up Power Lunch: Encourage employees to give up their lunch for the day so they have an extra $5 to donate. Remind them to bring their lunch on SU2C day by leaving each employee an SU2C orange band. You can also incentivize employees by catering lunch in and asking for a $5 donation per plate.
- Sell a Star: Using the SU2C star template, ask your customers to dedicate a star for a donation. Hang the dedicated stars to create your business’own constellation.
- Keep the Change To Change the Odds: Set up donation buckets near your registers and ask people to donate the change from their purchase.
*Please check with your school or company guidelines before planning any of these events.
"There's no age limit on cancer. We've all been affected. My classmates and I wanted to show the families in our school that lost someone how much we care so we helped organize a student concert to benefit SU2C."
- Nicole G., New Caanan, CT