SU2C Scientists Named to Cancer Moonshot Panel
Posted on April 4, 2016, 7:32 AM
We are very excited to share with you the news that several scientists and advocates associated with Stand Up To Cancer have been appointed to the new Blue Ribbon Panel that will provide scientific guidance to the cancer “moonshot” initiative headed by Vice President Joe Biden. According to an announcement today from the National Cancer Institute, the panel will serve as a working group of the existing National Cancer Advisory Board (NCAB), which is appointed by the President, and will provide scientific guidance from thought leaders in the cancer community. The panel will begin its deliberations immediately, and will deliver a report to the NCAB this summer, according to NCI.
Serving as one of three vice-chairs of the new panel is Elizabeth M. Jaffee, MD, deputy director of The Sidney Kimmel Comprehensive Cancer Center at Johns Hopkins and leader of the SU2C-Lustgarten Foundation Pancreatic Cancer Convergence Dream Team.
Other SU2C-affiliated panel members include:
- James P. Allison, PhD, professor and chair of Immunology, University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, and a leader of the SU2C-Cancer Research Institute Cancer Immunology Dream Team.
- Charles L. Sawyers, MD, chair, Human Oncology and Pathogenesis Program, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, and co-leader of the SU2C-Prostate Cancer Foundation Dream Team.
- Ellen V. Sigal, PhD, founder and chairperson of Friends of Cancer Research, and a member of the SU2C Scientific Advisory Committee.
- Levi Garraway, MD, PhD, director of the Center for Cancer Precision Medicine at Dana-Farber Cancer Institute, leader of the Stand Up To Cancer Convergence Team “Rational Design of Anticancer Drug Combinations with Dynamic Multi-Dimensional Input,” and principal on the SU2C-Prostate Cancer Foundation Dream Team.
- Gad Getz, PhD, director, Cancer Genome Computational Analysis Group at the Broad Institute of MIT and Harvard, and an investigator on the SU2C-Prostate Cancer Foundation Dream Team.
- Chi Van Dang, MD, PhD, director of the Abramson Cancer Center, University of Pennsylvania, was an investigator on the SU2C Pancreatic Cancer Dream Team headed by Craig B. Thompson, MD, and Daniel D. Von Hoff, MD.
- Peter Adamson, MD, professor and director of Experimental Therapeutics in Oncology, The Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia, served on the Joint Scientific Advisory Committee for the SU2C-St. Baldrick’s Pediatric Cancer Dream Team.
The full news release is here.
Return to Blog
- Breast Cancer Can Happen to Men Too
- Research Teams Share Progress at the 2017 Summit
- Finding Purpose By Helping Others Fight Cancer
- The Great Escape: Tumor-Suppressor Genes and Male-Female Cancer Disparity
- What Life Looks Like After Cancer
- Survivor Contestant Adam Klein Shares His Story
- Don’t Say “Cancer” & Other Thoughts From a Three-Time Survivor
- Oncology Nurses Get Ugly and Fight Cancer
- The Story Behind SU2C Jewelry Line Golden Thread
- Why I’m Thankful for Cancer Research