The Amazing Spider-Man Stands Up
Posted on June 28, 2012, 10:20 AM
On Monday, June 25 The Amazing Spider-Man ‘s cast, director and producer took part in the Empire State Building lighting ceremony, kicking off “Be Amazing, Stand Up and Volunteer” (www.Beamazing2012.com), in support Stand Up To Cancer. SU2C Co-founder Kathleen Lobb spoke about the late Laura Ziskin, producer of the Spider-Man films and SU2C Co-founder:
It is an honor to be here today w/ all of you, representing Stand Up To Cancer, and especially to be with Andrew, Emma, Rhys, Denis, Marc, and Matt…
One person was central to both the making of the Spider-Man movies and Stand Up To Cancer - our beloved Laura Ziskin. Just over a year ago, we lost Laura to breast cancer, while she was in the midst of producing The Amazing Spider-Man with these extraordinary actors.
Laura was a gifted multi-tasker…At the very same time, she was an extremely active co-founder of Stand Up To Cancer…She really was our guiding light.
Laura was hellbent on making sure everyone understood cancer’s ubiquity - that one in two men and one in three women in this country will be diagnosed in their lifetimes. She brainstormed endlessly about ways to build our grassroots movement - how we could engage each and every person in the fight against this disease.
Laura would be so touched that SONY and all of you have embraced Stand Up To Cancer…Thank you for encouraging the legions of Spidey fans out there to “Be Amazing, Stand Up and Volunteer”...Having this incredible cast do something as iconic as light up the Empire State Building to spread the word - it doesn’t get any better than that! On behalf of everyone at Stand Up To Cancer, thank you all.
From left: Rhys Ifans, Denis Leary, Emma Stone, Andrew Garfield, director Marc Webb, Stand Up to Cancer co-founder Kathleen Lobb and producer Matt Tolmach inside the Empire State Building.
Return to Blog
- Breast Cancer Can Happen to Men Too
- Research Teams Share Progress at the 2017 Summit
- Finding Purpose By Helping Others Fight Cancer
- The Great Escape: Tumor-Suppressor Genes and Male-Female Cancer Disparity
- What Life Looks Like After Cancer
- Survivor Contestant Adam Klein Shares His Story
- Don’t Say “Cancer” & Other Thoughts From a Three-Time Survivor
- Oncology Nurses Get Ugly and Fight Cancer
- The Story Behind SU2C Jewelry Line Golden Thread
- Why I’m Thankful for Cancer Research