2012 MLB 5K & Fun Run with Alison Sweeney Recap
Posted on July 10, 2012, 11:45 AM
This past Sunday, 8,020 enthusiastic runners gathered in downtown Kansas City’s Power and Light District to participate in MLB’s All-Star Charity 5K & Fun Run! Presented by Nike, the run raised awareness and funds for cancer research, with 100% of the net proceeds going to the Prostate Cancer Foundation, the Greater Kansas City Affiliate of Susan G. Komen for the Cure, and Stand Up To Cancer. SU2C Ambassador Alison Sweeney, host of The Biggest Loser, joined Major League Baseball Hall of Famer George Brett, former Royals Mike Sweeney and Jeff Montgomery, and American Idol winner David Cook to host the day’s events for a revved-up crowd.
It was an especially moving day at the Stand Up To Cancer booth. There, runners created placards to wear on their backs as a physical and emotional reminder of whom they were running for. Meanwhile, SU2C erected a signing wall where runners and their families could do the same. The wall was completely filled within a matter of hours. Alison Sweeney and Stand Up To Cancer co-founder Rusty Robertson were among those firing up the crowd before the race, which likely motivated men’s winner Caleb Hoover to run a record time of 15:10 despite a hilly course!
Return to Blog
- Empowering Patients Through Support
- Teaming Up Against Ovarian Cancer
- Joseph Rick: A Second Chance at Life
- Don Konantz: A Cancer Fighter Takes on IRONMAN Canada
- An SU2C MVP: Landon Monro
- David Gobin: #ISurvivedCancer Because of Immunotherapy
- I survived cancer.
- Maria Baltazzi: Walking for Good
- SU2C Celebrates Survivorship! 6 Ways to Honor the Survivor in Your Life
- NASCAR Stands Up In Memory of Steve Byrnes