2012 MLB 5K & Fun Run with Alison Sweeney Recap
Posted on July 10, 2012, 11:45 AM
This past Sunday, 8,020 enthusiastic runners gathered in downtown Kansas City’s Power and Light District to participate in MLB’s All-Star Charity 5K & Fun Run! Presented by Nike, the run raised awareness and funds for cancer research, with 100% of the net proceeds going to the Prostate Cancer Foundation, the Greater Kansas City Affiliate of Susan G. Komen for the Cure, and Stand Up To Cancer. SU2C Ambassador Alison Sweeney, host of The Biggest Loser, joined Major League Baseball Hall of Famer George Brett, former Royals Mike Sweeney and Jeff Montgomery, and American Idol winner David Cook to host the day’s events for a revved-up crowd.
It was an especially moving day at the Stand Up To Cancer booth. There, runners created placards to wear on their backs as a physical and emotional reminder of whom they were running for. Meanwhile, SU2C erected a signing wall where runners and their families could do the same. The wall was completely filled within a matter of hours. Alison Sweeney and Stand Up To Cancer co-founder Rusty Robertson were among those firing up the crowd before the race, which likely motivated men’s winner Caleb Hoover to run a record time of 15:10 despite a hilly course!
Return to Blog
- SU2C Helps Fight Cancer with Immunotherapy
- Support and Laughter Helped Me Survive
- Surviving Melanoma, Thanks to Research Supported by SU2C
- Stand Up To Cancer: A Major Force In Cancer Research
- A Behind the Scenes Look at the People Helping to Usher in New Cancer Therapies: A Nurse’s Story
- Introducing SU2C Catalyst: SU2C’s Latest Effort to Accelerate New Treatments for Cancer Patients
- My Mother’s Journey: Thriving and Surviving Ovarian Cancer
- Breathing Deeply Through Grief: A Widow’s Take On Healing
- SU2C Scientists Named to Cancer Moonshot Panel
- Lynch Syndrome Heroes